School Bus Stop Safety Tips
Caregivers of youngers students should take an active role in promoting school bus safety with children.
- Younger children should always be walked to and from the bus stop.
- Arrive at the school bus stop five minutes early so students don't have to run to catch the bus.
- Younger children should be supervised at the bus stop.
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic. Line up at least five giant steps away from the curb or the roadway to wait for the bus.
- Students should walk at least 10 feet in front of the bus when crossing so the school bus driver can see them.
- Never cross the street behind the school bus.
- Students should wait until the school bus has stopped all traffic before stepping out into the road.
- Amber lights flashing on a school bus mean "caution." When driving, watch for children on both sides of the road. Slow down and be prepared to stop.
- During COVID-19, students and parents/guardians are encouraged to practice social distancing (6-feet) while waiting at the bus stop.
School Bus Student Conduct Rules
In addition to the established Code of Student Conduct, the rules for student conduct on school buses and school vehicles require that students will:
- Obey and cooperate with the driver.
- Observe rules of good citizenship and respect private property while waiting for the bus or school vehicle at the designated stop.
- Be on time at the designated stop and wait until the bus or school vehicle comes to a complete stop before attempting to enter.
- Be courteous to fellow students and the driver.
- Remain seated while the bus or school vehicle is in motion.
- Talk in normal inside voices and not talk to or disturb the driver.
- Always keep heads and hands inside the bus or school vehicle .
- Be responsible for any damage to the bus or school vehicle.
- Not litter, nor throw anything out the windows.
- Not engage in horseplay on or around the bus or school vehicle.
- Not eat, drink, smoke or use profanity.
- Not leave books, lunches or personal property on the bus or school vehicle.
- Not bring sharp or blunt instruments not in a proper container on the bus or school vehicle.
- Not put items in the aisle, including backpacks, instruments, athletic gear, etc.
- Cross in front of bus or school vehicle on departure after the bus or school vehicle has stopped completely and driver has signaled students.
- During COVID-19, all students shall wear masks at all times when on the bus.
- During COVID-19, all students are encouraged to use the hand sanitizer provided at the entrance of the bus when entering and leaving the bus.
- Please reference School Board Policy 810 for additional transportation information.