The K–5 mathematics curriculum provides students with a solid foundation in whole numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals and helps young students build the foundation to successfully apply more demanding math concepts and procedures. Having built a strong foundation at K–5, a goal of the math program is for students to be Algebra-ready by Grade 8.
Mathematics Grade-level Leaders:
Mathematics in Pennsylvania stresses both procedural skills and conceptual understanding to ensure students are learning and applying the critical information they need to succeed at higher levels. Aligned with Common Core Standards, math instruction focuses on the 8 Mathematical Practices:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.